Monday, September 17, 2007

Day #259- Momma Guilt






Today Boy #2 had a Dr. appt. Nothing wrong, just his annual visit for his asthma work-up. 2 wks ago he had his 5yr shots, so he was a little nervous about going, but I PROMISED him there'd be no shots. You see where this is going, yes?
So...he gets the whole work-up, and after 90min in the Ped office the kids are literally bouncing off the walls, esp Boy #2 since part of the work-up is a breathing test where they check lung capacity normally, then drug him and test again. And the drugs always make him a little extra spazzy. SO...as we're about to leave the Ped gives me some lab work to bring downstairs....it turns out the boy needs to get blood drawn. Given the drama of 2wks ago I knew this wasn't going to go well. I waited until about 5min before to warn him...apologizing for telling him there'd be no shots, etc. He gets nervous but tells me he's going to be okay and "be a big boy"
After the 1st couple of pokes in his right arm with me holding him in my lap failed (grrrrrrr)....we had to go to another room so they could prod the other arm. At this point he is besides himself hysterical....and it took 4 nurses AND me to hold him down. I have never felt worse as a mother in my entire life- he was screaming, I was bawling because I just couldn't stand it as he BEGGED me to make them stop and BEGGED me to stop holding him so tight. It was the longest 5minutes ever.
It. Was. Awful. He recovered almost immediately once it was over, well by the time we got to the car anyway, but I cried the whole way home...most of the time in Target....and again when hubby came home and I retold him the story. So...this is as he calls it- "The Guilt Gift"
I swear I would have given the boy a fricking car if he wanted it I felt so guilty. But he picked this instead.
If it saves him from being permantly emotionally scarred it will be the best $9.99 I ever spent.

9 comments:

Karson and Kami said...

oh no! Poor little guy! What a great mom to buy him a present! :)

Chelle said...

Oh that makes me cry too.

Monday I took mine to the doctor and I thought they were going to get shots and they didn't have to afterall, but I still had to buy the presents at Target after the appointment. How did that happen?

Jennifer said...

Oh poor baby, I feel so sorry for the both of you! See I'm sitting here crying for you. Because I know exactly what you went through. I've had to do the same thing and when they are screaming crying and looking into your eyes like why are you letting them do this to me it just tears you apart, I can't stop my self from crying and afterward I keep saying I'm sorry and holding them! Oh man this just really hit home, yes something so small but so big for such a young child that just don't understand! Well, I'm glad everyone is doing better, oh and I would've bought him anything afterward too!

Louisa said...

Awww, are you OK? I almost got tears reading your story, it sounds so awful, I can just imageine. Funny how kids bounce back right away and you'll probably remember this for the rest of your life! Looks like he was having a great time with his toy, I never would have known the story behind it.

Louisa said...

This is off topic, but to answer a couple of your questions you left on my blog...of which I have been terrible at the last few months. Yes, my website is a flash palette. I highly recommend it as it is so incredibly easy. Yes, I am using a different pp technique, one that includes more saturation, more contrast and some skin smoothing. You're pics are lovely as always.

Ariana Sullivan said...

Oh I feel so sorry for him :( AND you!

Reading the part about him begging just broke my heart.

I totally would've had a trip to the store for a treat as well.
Thank goodness it's over. Does he have to get blood tests often?

I love the pictures...he's looking so grown up in them.

sherry boles~ said...

Oh, how horrible! It's times like those that being a parent just rips your heart out!
I would have been the same way...I've cried many times over things like that...

Unknown said...

(((HUGS)))) I swear it is so hard to watch your kids look at you and not understand why you aren't 'stopping' them!! I would've of gotten him a present too!!

Stephanie said...

The same thing happened to me for B's first blood draw. I took him to CVS right after and he got a whole tube of M and Ms - something that normally he'd have to split 3 ways over the course of 2 days...I let him eat the whole thing, and would have bought him 50 more to make myself feel better.
Poor S!